Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Windy City...

...was not too windy!

This ain't Cape Hatteras!
Just got back from a great trip to Chicago to hang out with my bro and his fiance Pauline! We had a great time, and pretty much made the most of every moment! I'll admit to having some serious culture shock, especially the first day or two...

They've got a killer apartment just north of the city in a high rise building. It faces the lake, and the views are amazing! The rising sun pretty much beats right into the main wall of windows. Luckily, they've got blinds, so I was able to sleep in a little after staying out, well, altogether way too late! They did a lot of work to their place, and it shows! It is definitely a sweet setup, in a great (read: diverse and interesting) neighborhood.

Sunrise from the bedroom!
The Sweet Living Room/Kitchen Area
While in Chicago, I ate like a champion! As much as I like the culinary choices here on Hatteras, they're a little, ummm, limited... We ate Colombian (I spoke Spanish, terribly, to the waitress), Ethiopian (killer family style meal, I spoke English to the waiter), and Thai (have a guess as to what language I used there)! They were all really good meals, and I was surprised by the hospitality given by the restaurants! Felt like I was part of the family while out at a public restaurant! Very cool.

We had a pseudo bachelor party for my Bro, who's getting married in April! Really fun, he's got a lot of great friends up there! We spent the afternoon at Chicago Indoor Racing, an indoor go kart track. These karts are ridiculous, topping out at 30-35 mph! Crazy, driving around a really technical course with 10 other guys all trying to come in 1st place! I'm really glad they supply helmets! Then it was off to the bars and restaurants for the rest of the evening! It turned out to be a really late night, as I'm sure you can guess...

We also spent a day at the Chicago Aquarium (literally, like 8 hours in the place)! It was really well set up, right on Lake Michigan. It got me really excited to get into some 80 degree water to go snorkeling! Come April, I'll be there, on a trip to Jamaica!! Sweeeeeeet, I can't wait!!



All in all, it was a great trip, and it was good to get off the island (I haven't left the outer banks since New Years). It took me awhile to get used to all the people and commotion up there (not to mention roads and highrises), but by the time I left, I was walking just as fast as my bro, and found myself wishing I had a watch.

Now that I'm back, though, I could care less what time it is...

5 comments:

Waterturtle said...

Chicago is a great city....fun and friendly. I go there most every year with some friends to take in some Cubs games. They have interesting city "beaches" there on Lake Michigan right up next to the skyscapers and highway.

sarah said...

I am glad you made it home safely! I hope I wasn't part of the culture shock with my glitter suit stories. I enjoyed looking at your blog..makes me miss living close to the ocean. The Mississippi will just have to do. It would be great to hear from you! sellinger@hotmail.com

EC said...

What about today? No report? Got verbal confirmation crew was heading to Boilers...

Andy said...

Mac, I can certainly see the windsurf potential at those beaches! Very cool setup with the right wind directions!

Sarah, you weren't too shocking until you moved on from the glitter suit to discuss your latest leather outfit!

EC, Caleb called from the boiler, but I have no idea if he went out or not... That probably would have been the spot, a happy medium btwn straight offshore in Nags Head and a washing machine in Avon. Down here, most everyone was hiding at the hole today, check the update!

sarah said...

Andy-- OK so the leather suit was pushing it...but you have to admit that it was fun to be entertained by an interesting stranger. I will blame my poor social skills on the fact that I spend the majority of my time with homeless guys who use drugs:) Sarah