Sunday, March 2, 2008

February Wrap Up, March Comes In Like A Lion

In summary, February was pretty darned rad! Pretty chilly over all, 28 degrees F was the coldest session, but most days were in the mid 40s to 50s, and a few in the 60s. I didn't nab any of my 2008 goals, but I certainly tossed a ton of biggg backloop attempts, and came realllly close to landing a bunch of 'em. Also, the forwards have gotten a lot cleaner, and I even over-rotated a few! Time to start trying doubles!

Here are the raw stats from my February 2008 Fun Log:
32 seperate water sessions
20 days windsurfing (22 sessions, 8 on a 5.7, 13 on a 5.0, 1 on a 4.2 )
5 days surfing prone boards
5 days on the SUP (4 surfing, 1 cruising)
4 days spent on land (playing tennis, running, bicycling, yoga, etc)
0 rest days
18 sessions in a 6/5/4
13 sessions in a 3/2
1 in Trunks!!!!

On To March!!!

A college buddy, Tim, came down this weekend, looking for one last hurrah before knee surgery on Tuesday, and he nailed it! March has entered the scene with gusto! Saturday morning brought howling West winds, and a waist to head high swell down at Isabel's. Stuart, Tim and I hit it up for a "dawn" sesh before the wind switched and let up. We caught it really good for about an hour before the current kicked in and the wind dropped off. Stuart got some great waves and few solid loop attempts, Tim made it off the beach and back in without breaking or losing anything (always a victory in my books), and I was able to get a few ridiculous jumps in, but not too much in the way of good waves. I got solidly worked on my first wave, and couldn't dial in my timing for the rest of the session (more mental than anything else probably).
Stuart on a nice setI'm popping a little airTim on his way outStuart top turning
After the wind pooped out, we went for a quick soundside freestyle session, and then grabbed some kites for a sunset session. Tim was stoked with a solid day of battling the ocean, then some butter flat water for a wrap up.

Sunny days!
Sun on the sandTim pops a little ollie
Scallops in the reeds
This morning, Sunday, dawned with chilly moderate NE wind, and not a cloud in the sky! Tim and I decided to toss the wetsuits back on for a quick morning session. I grabbed some slalom gear, and posted a 27.5 mph top speed in the 12-18 mph breeze, although there were a few gusts that were probably a bit over 20. Tim got one last pull behind his kite, and left with a smile on his face! It's pretty cool to think that one hour on the water can satisfy someone who knows that he's going to be immobile for a month! Good luck with the surgery and rehab, Tim!

Jibing the Big Stuff
Tim's last reach before going under the knife!!
Well, the days are getting longer and the water's getting warmer, so get yourselves all geared up and come on down! I met a few guys down from Michigan on Spring Break yesterday, so the season is officially upon us! I'm glad to see kids spending their break seeking the adrenaline rush associated with windsurfing and kiteboarding, rather than just looking for a buzz and a girl at Daytona!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice air dog. February looked like an active month for water / wind sports. The creation of the 6/5/4 may be one of the best things ever for true east coast wind enthusiasts. Cheers.

Waterturtle said...

Andy, You're a dog! 32 separate water sessions in the month of Feb! More power to you my friend.....and yes, I'm very jealous. What will your average be when the shop opens again in the spring?

Andy said...

Hey Geoff! This whole winter has been unreal, man! I've been trying to get you guys to come down and join us for a weekend.... And yes, the 6/5/4 is amazing. It's actually as stretchy and comfy as my 3/2 from 2002 was!! Barely even notice I'm wearing the thing...

Unfortunately Mac, my stats will dwindle... Spring is rough, as I can only catch the dawn sessions, and maybe a 30 minute sunset sesh if I can sneak out early... Luckily for me, Summer is around the corner, supplying ample time for dawn and looong evening sessions! See ya on the water!