Saturday, March 8, 2008

Crankin' Breeze!

It was windy today. Really windy! All the meters were averaging in the 40s with gusts up to 60 mph at Frisco Pier!! Solid breeze! I sailed at the Hole all day, litski on my 4.2. Charles, Emmanuel, and Dano joined, and even hit up Ego Beach for a little while when the wind went more SW. There were also a few out of towners in the hole, signifying the start of the spring sailing season!!

Emmanuel hanging on in a gust
When it gets that windy, the sound turns into a crazy playground. Ramps aplenty, even some "shorebreak" to deal with... Straight up jumps become scary, so, you might as well loop! Once you start a rotation, everything seems to solidify (until you splat down)! I had a pretty crazy jumping day, throwing countless loops on both port and starboard, attempted a handful of backloops, and even went for some nasty pushloops! When you consider the normal state of the Pamlico Sound (flat), just the fact that I was able to try this stuff is pretty amazing! It made me laugh while sailing...

Sing it: Smoke... on the wa...ter....I think Bill and Billy hit up Coquina Beach today, so be sure to check their sites for a report!

3 comments:

Waterturtle said...

Great pics...showing how intense the wind was. Looks like everyone in the Carolinas got it yesterday (except me, I was sick).

Anonymous said...

Uhm, i don't about looping or jumping other than in front of the beach that way gear can get blown onto beach....
Well up to 40, over i just focussed on not spinning out or falling on gybe so not to have to waterstart, something worth having nightmares if you ask me. Nothing like watching tail of board turn downwind, windward rail gets lifted out of the water and if you're still holding on to your boom, away you go tugged downwind by your board and rig. No way you're letting go!

EC said...

thanks for spelling my name correctly and not using one of those dumb nicknames !
Still no pics from Charles...