Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Stars...

...are not aligned... There is a macking swell out in the Atlantic right now! The buoy topped out at about 12 feet at 16 seconds this afternoon. We often see larger wave heights here, but rarely at such a long period. Actually, as I write this, it's reading 16 feet at 8 seconds, however that generally produces a smaller, more disorganized, more dumpy wave. I don't think anybody stepped off the beach down here today, but had they done so for scale, I'm sure the faces were well beyond double overhead. Also, the wind kicked up to solid 4.2 weather this afternoon! This could have been an epic day of windsurfing, but there were a few factors holding me back:

Avon Pier, trying to remain upright!1st and foremost, I'm sick. I must have picked up a bug from my millions of close friends up in Chicago over the weekend. Makes sense, as my immune system has only dealt with about 300 people over the last 3 months!

2nd, although huge, the ocean was a washing machine down here in Avon. Whitewater as far as the eye could see! Not too appealing. Pics from up north make it look way more ridable, but the wind was straight offshore up there... not so hot for moderately safe windsurfing! Drew and Bill have some great pics of the ocean from their spots, check 'em out!

So, we made the most of it and banged around the Canadian Hole on 3.7s to 4.2s! Getting some fresh air and exercise seemed to help flush my system out a bit. I'm definitely feeling better now than this morning. On the water, I took it really easy and just mowed the lawn, back and forth... Also spotted: Keith and Martine, freshly back from the slopes of Colorado, Jim K, Stuart, and a few visitors! Stuart was on fire today, chucking loops on both tacks despite the super flat water! Nice job, man!

Jim K, sending it skyward!Stuart Duck JibeJim K lays it on rail
Jim, going Huge!
Stu, showin' off!
Stu, chuckin' it
Stu, going up
If you need more of a fix, check this short clip out. "Huh?!" was my response. Also, be sure to watch 2 for 10, a ten minute flick of Andre Paskowski and Gollito showcasing some of the latest freestyle moves, including lots of combos, like triple spocks, and some sort of spock into burner type thingy! Rad.

Looks like more wind is in store over the next few days, so come on down and join us!

2 comments:

dave said...

Hey Andy.

Have been enjoying your blog very much.

Noticed that you had some pics of Jim K. A couple of years ago he and I hit some tennis a few times.

Please let him know that I'm in town and would like to hit if he has the time.

Maybe I'll see you on the water -either windsurfing or SUP. I'll be the kooky guy on the Quatro board and Simmer sail. If it's on the sound I'll be on a Fanatic Skate.

My number is (843) 442-2691, and I'll be staying in Waves Saturday to Saturday starting the 22nd.

Thanks much.

Dave.

Andy said...

Hi Dave! I will absolutely pass your info on to Jim. He's always looking for people to play tennis with, mostly because he wears his partners out too fast!

See ya on the water!