Friday, February 27, 2009

Small Town Life...

I had to ship a box via UPS today. I purchased the shipping label online, and since there's only one road out here, I parked myself in a vacant lot and just waited for the UPS guy to drive by. When I saw him coming, I jumped out of the truck, grabbed the package, and stood in the middle of the highway and flagged him down. He happily slammed on his brakes and pulled off into the shoulder, popped the door open, grabbed the package and drove off. Does that happen in other places?

Sometimes, if I'm walking Banana (the dog), the UPS and FedEx guys will screech to a halt in the middle of the road and chuck dog bones out the window. Does that happen in other places?

Over the holidays, Anne, Banana, and I were in Brooklyn. When the FedEx lady come bursting through the crowd, Banana ran up to her, and sat down with puppy dog eyes, directly in front of her. Of the hundreds of New Yawkas that passed by on the street that morning, Banana only knew the FedEx lady, and tried to befriend her. Alas, she had no treats. New York is not a small town.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL Ah,that is nice how did the lady deal with the friendliness?. In Miami I cam up short on my grocery by $32. I started to take stuff out, the dude at the cash would not let me pout it back and insisted that I he would pay. The next day I had the money and tried to renter it. He looked at me like I was nuts. (yah nothing new)

scooper said...

I want live where you live.

Aaron said...

You must have been in Midtown or some other commercial area. The neighborhoods of NYC are small towns for sure. A few examples...

1. Dry cleaning lady knows my name and reaches for my shirts as I'm walking in the door (no ticket needed). Coat button coming loose? No problem... she'll fix while I wait... no charge.
2. Pizza guy asks if I'll have my regular slices... damn NY slices are good!
3. Line for morning coffee at the deli...no problem... I get a subtle nod that my hot tea is on the side counter...no waiting.
4. The wife and I spontaneously want italian on a Saturday night without reservations...no problem. The restaurant around the corner always holds a few tables open for neighborhood regulars.

For me, a freindly attitude and respect for local businesses goes a long way. I also remember these folks during the holidays. Not with fat big-city envelopes full of cash (can't afford it), but a few bucks for some and holiday cards for all. They really appreciate it.

ENOUGH ABOUT NEW YORK...ENJOY MAUI!!!

Anonymous said...

I work along the nasty D.C. technology corridor (Rt 270) but live 32 miles north in a rural town of about 600. I do a little volunteer work, know the mayor and town commissioners, say hi to my friend's son when I buy groceries and know a lot more about my neighbors than I'd care to. When I start feeling stupid for commuting so far I just have to think of my family in my little town and it makes it well worth it.

Gonna hit the Chesapeake tomorrow in the am. Brrrrr. George says he's gonna loop for me. I need him to shame me into more efforts!. Enjoy Maui

Ken K

Brian McDowell said...

Come live in ireland...no ZIP codes...no need to lock your doors in the country and if the postman sees your car at the beach or anywhere around the place he just pops the mail through your window, or more specifically, opens the door, puts the mail in and winds the window up to save the rain wetting your seat. Gotta love that.