Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Solo Sesh Tailgate Video

More North winds yesterday and this morning on Hatteras Island! It honestly seems as though the wind never ends out here... Check out the forecast for the next few days!!

I decided to sail the ocean just north of Avon yesterday. One truck drove by as I was rigging, but other than that I didn't see one other person... Nobody at all as far as the eye could see... Just a few dolphin and seagulls...

I wouldn't call it a wavesailing session, more like ocean bump and jump. There was the ubiquitous shorebreak, current, and light wind on the inside to deal with, but a easy, mushy wave was standing up on the sandbar, providing lots of ramps to jump!

Inspired by the parking lot webcasts coming from Ho'okipa the last few days, I setup a camera on the tailgate of my truck. The following short movie is what came out of the effort : ) Enjoy!


Solo Sesh from Andy McKinney on Vimeo.

5 comments:

Tom T said...

3 things.

1- those loops look fun!
2- that little wave in looks fun!
3- whats the water temp ocean side?

Andy said...

Hey TT,

'twas plenty of fun out there!

regarding #3- the water is about 45F right now, and the air was about 39 I think.

If you ever want to check the water temps for yourself, there's a "Sea Surface Temperature" link near the top of the righthand column on the blog.

George Markopoulos said...

man you are gonna be so dialed when you hit Hookipa

Anonymous said...

too bad you're goofy-footed. -stu

Andy said...

I'll just go down the line switch stance, Stu... ;)

Ego Beach and Old Lifeguard beach have provided plenty of practice in Starboard tack waves lately, so I'm feeling pretty good. Still can't get my mind around those stbd back loops though... Damn injury... Oh well, at least I'll have lots of inspiration out there!