Monday, February 9, 2009

Sunny Weekend on the Beach

Before we start the weekend's water time report, here's a forwarded email, written by Buxton Jim. I think it'll give you guys a feel for winter time life on Hatteras Island:

Dear Margaret: It snowed again today. In winter at The Point it is common for pelicans to hang out close to the fishermen or even to walk right up to the driver side door hoping for a meal. Now it is too cold. Nobody is at The Point. I biked to Conners to get groceries. A pelican found that by standing about ten feet away he could activate and open the sliding doors. The woman from the cash register was throwing him fish. Jim

Thanks for sending that, Margaret, and great account of life on Hatteras Island, Jim!

Onwards: Great weekend out here on Hatteras! The temps warmed up to "fun beach weather" levels, with lots of sunshine and light breezes. Anne and I did a lot of surfing, and generally hung out in the sun as much as possible!

Friday, I surfed with Chad and Shaun. We found a great longboard wave, crumbly on the outside, and then standing up really steep in the shorebreak section. Good fun, that's for sure!

Chad, lining it up

Chad tucking in

I took out the Bonga Perkins 10' SUP both on Friday, and Saturday again with Anne. What a great picture taking (and wave riding) platform! Check 'em out:

Anne making the drop

Local boys

Anne's toes

Large file- new daydreaming wallpaper for y'all

Anne and her new friends

moi (photo: Anne)


Sunday was super windy in the morning, and I snagged a quick Slick Sesh on 5.0 before it faded out. Word is the southside offered up some fun side on conditions while the wind was up. So all in all, it was a killer weekend! I hope y'all had some fun out there, too!

5 comments:

George Markopoulos said...

yah, i saw the wind readings yesterday morning and i fiugured you'd be hitting it up. still solo though?

Bill said...

I was contemplating running down there yesterday, but decided to save my points for later this week. Looks like the warm SW will continue all week with some excellent WindGuru yellow star alignment forecast! 50+ degree water on the south side too!

This time, when it happens, I think we should go straight to Lifeguard Beach as compared to Ego...warmer water, better wave?!

Anonymous said...

Cool Site, great photos. Was checking out the links and loved the retro Sailworld website. I haven't seen Pica typeface since I threw my IBM Proprinter in the garbage 10 years ago. The graphics took me back to my mispent youth as I moved from Atari to the early DOS games like the gorilla throwing bananas at the building. Did your dad design that site? Verdict equals your blog rocks, your website could be freshened up a bit.

PeconicPuffin said...

I like the "C" that Chad makes with the top of the wave in the "tucked in" photo.

Also particularly enjoyed the Large File image. That was good for ten seconds of grinning!

SlideHappySailor said...

As always my favorite blog to read, keep up the good work! and the gorilla throwing bananas game was and still is badass.