Sunday, March 29, 2009

I'm claiming it, folks:

Today was the most fun windsurfing day of 2009!! Yeeehaw!!

And I've got a mild sunburn, raw hands, a sore body, and a fat lip to prove it.

First of all, we had wind. And PLENTY of it (lit up 4.2 ALL DAY)! Second, we had company! The morning session at the Hole was FUN, because there was a small crowd of super amped up people to share it with! I'm glad y'all made it down/over/out to catch this rad day! Third, we had waves, to boot! That's a recipe for a fantastic day...

Moments of note:

1) Chatting with people other than the three I've been hanging out with all winter. (no offense to those three)
2) Catching a few logo-ish high down the line rides with Stuart, Jim K, and Olaf.
3) Watching Dave C. make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a 13" weed fin instead of a knife.
4) Watching Anne TEAR IT UP on a new 75 liter RRD/3.7 combo with smoke on the water gusts pushing through!
5) Screaming at the top of my lungs at Stuart to get him to chuck something huge off a logo high wave. He threw a weird back/push loop thing and actually sailed away from it! At which point I realized, that in order to be fair, I had to chuck something huge off the next one... A big delayed forward fit the bill... with a perfect landing nonetheless! Yeehaw!!
6) Watching Ralph get lit up on the smallest gear he's ever used!
7) Sailing my Tabou 100 liter freestyle board for hours in gusts over 40, totally in control!! (Until the whole fat lip thing happened)
8) Dodging a pod of dolphin while careening down the face of a head high wave!
9) There are so many more rad moments from today's uber long sessions (about an 8 hour total of watertime for me!!!)... the list is honestly endless!!

If you also sailed today, I'd love to read your additions to the list of awesome moments!!

I shot some tailgate video today, but I'm too tired to look at it tonight. And there were a few photographers hanging out at Ego Beach, too. So, if anything came out, I'll be sure to post it up! Also, check out Bill's coverage of the Northern sites. And George's coverage of Delaware. Sounds like they had a great time up there, too! Anywhere else on the Eastern Seaboard go off today??

10 comments:

George Markopoulos said...

ROCK N ROLL MAN, ROCK AND ROLL.

WINDSURFING IS THE MOST AWESOMEST SPORT IN THE FREAKING WORLD.

woke up at 3am just amped, reliving the days action. Does that happen to anyone else? Or do i need professional help???? I'm seriously on a major high, just hammering out these commets i think i might bust the keyboard i'm hitting the keys so hard (might be the strong coffee)

STOOOOOOOOOOOOKED :)

Bendula Family said...

I think George needs some help.

Yes, it was great yesterday. Lots of smiling sailors. It finally warmed up for us...we've certainly paid our dues this winter. I have some pics from yesterday Andy. I'll put them on a jump drive and drop them off to the shop.

George Markopoulos said...

Doctor-Doctor, gimme the news, I gotta, bad case, of lovin you!!

Waterturtle said...

Charlotte area sailors got it good at Lake Norman on Sunday....4s & 5s in 20-30mph wind. Will post a report & some pics sometime this week.

I love it when everyone gets some on the same day!

Jim said...

Sounds like you got a bit of an early birthday present! :)

Andy said...

Ain't that the truth, Jim!? Stoked!

Glad you guys caught it, too, Mac! It is, indeed, sweet when the whole coast lights up with these huge fronts!

Thanks for those pics, Dale! I'll put a few up pretty soon here. And you're right, George needs help.

George, you need help!! Professional help!! haha, but it's true, man, I have trouble sleeping as well... so I guess I need professional help too!

Bill said...

Yea, just wait until the June Bermuda High sets up... talk about being amped and enjoying time on the water. I still watch this video sometimes remembering the day vividly. My expressions say it all! Awesome wind, water, and weather...ahhh June....! Can't wait!!!!

Jim said...

Andy, here's wishing you a fun-filled birthday old man! Can't believe you've hit the big three-oh. Hope you get another solid day out on the water. I'll be calling tonight for a big update!

Aaron said...

Nice you guys are rippin down there. Still winter-ish in NY/NJ...no water-time yet this spring. Planning an OBX trip for third week in APR. Hope for a repeat of your recent conditions.

rdm said...

My wife has been concerned about the condition my condition is in for a while now. Seriously!