Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St Patrick's Day!!

I hope y'all had a great St Paddy's Day!! Grandma, and Uncle John, I couldn't help but think of you two today, and what wonderful lives you lived!! I miss you both dearly!

A quick family history- Apparently, we used to live in Scotland, and go by the name MacKinnon. For some reason or another, we got booted from that wonderful country. I'm sure it was a good reason. In any case, we moved to Ireland, dropped the Mac, and turned into McKinnons. Shortly thereafter (within a few hundred years), one of my ancestors took the boat to America, at which point we dropped the "on" and turned into McKinneys.

So there you have it.

Anyway, it was super windy today, which was rad. I rigged my 4.2 and 100 liter Freestyle and got two great sessions. The first one was at the Hole. It was perfect freestyling conditions, a bit bumpy, but still great. Got some perfect, planing starboard tack spocks, and worked pretty hard on the port tack action too.

Mark, speed check at the Hole!

The Afternoon Venue

Later in the afternoon, I met up with Stuart, and a few of the St Mary's College of Maryland Windsurfing Club brosefs at the Lighthouse. The waves went from chest high to logo high in the course of an hour. It was pretty rad. For some reason, I decided to ride my 4.2 and Freestyle board again... It actually worked pretty well, but I've gotta tell ya: Dropping into a meaty, overhead, Lighthouse barreling lefthander is a little sketchy on a board that size.... Anyway, all's well that ends well...

Stu, workin' it before it jacked up a notch

Looks like a day or two of light winds, and then massive winds again on Friday and Saturday!! I'm not sure what y'all are up to, but shoot me a note if you're coming down this Spring. Let me know if I can help you out with anything- be it boom choice, fin screw size, jibe or spock lessons! I am here to help you out!! Time to get rad, folks! Let's turn it up a notch!!

Speaking of getting rad, the 2009 Hatteras Windsurfing Festival Series has been announced!! Oh yeah!!!! Sign up here! Just to clarify, this festival is NOT for experienced sailors only! The main goal is to get NewBs out into the ocean, chucking loops, and pushing their limits! So sign yourself up, come to the clinics, and get rad on the water!! Oh Yeah!!!!

3 comments:

Kyle said...

Many "rad" things in there Andy, which is....well........rad! May I suggest a movie: "RAD". A 1980's BMX movie with a plot. I know you're a dedicated windsurfer, but anyone living should probably watch it.

Great blog, keep it up. Dude...come to think of it.....I bought a board from you like 5 years ago (AHD Mx). You owe it to me to watch RAD! OK, longest comment ever. Sorry.

Andy said...

Hahaha, you caught me! Apparently "Rad" was the word of choice last night....

Sweet movie, thanks for the heads up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wydWp63d8MU

How's that AHD holding up??

George Markopoulos said...

Interesting family history Andy