Saturday, August 9, 2008

Where is your wrath, Mother Nature?!

Well, there's no ignoring it anymore. The summer doldrums are here. I haven't sailed powered up 5.7 or smaller in *gasp* 7 days. Although I did miss a solid morning of mid 20s on Wednesday... Now that I look at the meters, yesterday would've been a great day to sail a 7.5 or go kiting. And there's been a tiny little wave to play with, but it's been pretty weak and small, nothing too exciting.

But the fact remains, nobody here has really gotten thrown around by an aggressive mother nature in quite awhile.

I count myself lucky, because I'm easily amused by sailing the Starboard Serenity, or paddling around a SUP, or coordinating light wind freestyle on the Gemini with a friend. And I've already talked about some other cross training opportunities we have available to us. (I've really gotta get that skate sailing kit out again).

There is one job I do not envy here on the island, in down times like these. Being a bartender at the Froggy Dog, when there are no waves, and a lot of hungry surfers in town, is downright dangerous. I hope, for their sake, that the female/male ratio is at least 3:2. Otherwise, there's going to be some very drunk, aggro people in that bar! Referee or bartender? Sometimes it's tough to tell the difference! Good luck, Buck, and Tom, may the force be with you.

Have you been getting it good lately in your neck of the woods? Let us know in the comments, so that we can live vicariously through you!

3 comments:

George Markopoulos said...

Nothing but what I call callus maintannce sailing up here today, although Assateague has some promise for tomorrow.

Outdrsmn said...

15th day for me with 1 missed it because of sketchy forecast and work. Today might pan out though.

Drew said...

I'm with you buddy but be careful what you wish for!!!