Thursday, August 14, 2008

Sailin' and Surfin' Again!

Highs and Lows the last few days... Sometimes I leave the island, in order to remind myself how amazing this lifestyle is. I spent a day up in Elizabeth City, dealing with some vehicle issues. Tell you what, Toyota is one large company that still has some values. They bought back my 8 year old Tacoma, for 1.5 x (!) the Blue Book Value, because the frame was rusting out. Apparently there was a composition error, or maybe the sealant they used was incorrect, so they've extended the frame rust warranties on '95 - '00 Tacomas to 15 years. Talk about standing behind your product, eh? So, I used that check as a whopping down payment on a brand new truck. Su-wheet!

The dealership that I dealt with was a whole 'nuther story, but I don't feel like flaming online, and I'd rather forget about the whole experience, and I doubt many of you will ever buy a car in Elizabeth City, NC... so don't worry about it! I will, however, say that I am very glad that I live and work in such a relaxed, honest environment. I couldn't imagine what my life would be like if I had to go work with those guys every day. I don't think I'd be able to sleep at night...

Anyway, back on topic, I drove my nice new truck down to Isabel's last night to catch the breeze that Bill talked about here. Of course, by the time I got down there, it had pretty much died on the ocean side, and there wasn't much in the way of waves anyway. So, I rigged up the 5.0 and put in on the sound side. This was the first time I ever sailed down there, in all these years of sailing the ocean right across the street... It was shallow, but no problem with a freestyle fin. There was a wind line a ways out, so I walked/schlogged the kit out. Got to the line, the sail filled with power, and I was off! Lit up, in the straps for the first time in 10 days! I threw a celebratory spock within 5 seconds of planing up, planed out of it, and tossed a 540 5 seconds later!! Man it felt so good to be juiced up and sailing well! Got in about 20 minutes before the sun got low and I decided to call it quits. Did really well on the percentages last night: 5 out of 5 on the 540s, 4 out of 6 on the spocks! That water is butter flat down there, really perfect for the sliding moves! Gotta love it!

All that wind left us a little swell this morning. Kevin, Dan, Stuart and I grabbed some chunky chest high waves during our pre-work wake up surf session. Felt a bit like fall out there, with a little chill to the air, and warm water to keep you comfortable in trunks. Good stuff, it felt great to get out there and catch some waves after how flat it's been!

With Fall quickly approaching, I can't wait for more! Please, let's be done with the doldrums!!

6 comments:

George Markopoulos said...

congrats on the new wheels. lemme see what it looks like-

Anonymous said...

hey andy; any first hand report of the supposed tornado in the OBX with last weekends severe weather?

PeconicPuffin said...

Let's hear it for Toyota! That's tremendous...good for you. It also recommends them in particular for salt-water exposed vehicles...they mean business when they say their vehicles aren't supposed to rust out.

-windless in new york

Andy said...

Yeah I'm stoked on the truck! Which is good, because I'll probably be driving it for the next 15 years!

Anon- Not sure about a tornado, I haven't talked to anyone who claimed to see one... But we have had some volatile weather, so it wouldn't surprise me if someone saw a water spout or something...

Anonymous said...

So the freckle faced kid who showed up on the island with his vulvo station wagon is now on second 4 wheel drive P/U. I think he just moved up a notch from "tourist" to "visitor" class on the island. Remember if you can't find your family name on a tombstone on the island you're not a local.

Andy said...

Thanks for reminding me, anon, I was starting to feel settled in...