Thursday, February 21, 2008

Warm Sunset, Disappearing Moon, Freezing Dawn

Wednesday brought warm(ish) South winds, and Ego beach was crowded with 5 sailors out!! Amazing, considering there were no waves in the super high tide... Anyway, killer sunset session, bump and jump (4.7-5.5) at Ego then a quick freestyle sesh in the hole to rinse the sand off the gear! Billy, Stuart, Jim K, Jeffro, Visiting Neil and I caught the warm afternoon breeze! There was tons of energy out there, with Stuart going for some loops, Billy throwing backloop attempts off nothing, Jim going huge as always, and Neil in the Graveyard of the Atlantic for the first time ever! Personally, I got a few great forwards off, some 360s in the "soup," and tried to toss some spocks in the ocean chop (unsuccessfully)!
Sunset BlastingBilly behind the one set of the day!Jeffro Mach 5 Jibe

Turns out there was a lunar eclipse Wednesday evening! Here in Avon, we were able to catch the first half before it clouded over. I snapped a few pics and tossed 'em together for y'all:
Eclipse Montage

Thursday morning brought MUCH colder temps (35F) and North/NNE winds. Stuart and I hit the Lighthouse for some big jumps and some variable but fun wave rides. The waves were mostly waist to shoulder high, and peeling down the beach! A few lined up for 4 or even 5 bottom turns, and both backside and down the line hits! Really fun session, but I'm sure glad I brought that cooler full of hot water to thaw out the hands afterwards! Dale grabbed a few pics while walking his dogs (Thanks Dale!!):
Backside Lip Hit!Stu in the Bowl
Onshore Bottom Turn (switch stance/clew first)
I took a turn behind the lens as well:
Stu on a Wall
Stuart in the SoupLifegaurd BeachThe Only Witnesses

8 comments:

Bill said...

Nice! I caught it a JRidge for a short 4.7m session on Wed. Kind of a "lunch break" sesh.

February has definitely been windy on the OBX. I am sure that you and Stewart have a mark on the calendar for nearly every day of the month! Hopefully, the trend lasts though the rest of 2008?!

Andy said...

Bill, glad to hear you hit the water!! It didn't get windy here until late afternoon on Wednesday, the lunch sesh was not an option here!

Yeah I don't want to jinx it but it has been unreal this winter! A thick suit has been necessary for most of it, and I'm glad I have a 5.7 sail and some bigger boards, but it's been windy almost every day! Loving it!

Waterturtle said...

You guys have been killing it out there. No comparison to Hatteras, but us inlanders have been carving out our own little slice of stoke recently. Some of your wind made its way to us too.
http://thewaterturtle.blogspot.com

See you two in April perhaps? We should have a bloggers summit, along with Peconic Puffin and James.

Andy said...

I'm down with a summit, as long as it very closely resembles a windsurf industry "board" meeting.... Less talky talky, more saily saily!!

PeconicPuffin said...

I'm a definate maybe for that...if work allows, I'll be there. I'm already a year late for my appointment with OBX waves!

Waterturtle said...

yep, thats the kind of summit I had in mind! saily saily!

James Douglass said...

Hey, you and Stuart get "props" from me for hitting the ocean in all conditions, from light wind kiter-dodging on longboards to 35 degrees F onshore winds. Hard core.

Regarding the blogger sailing summit... During windfest would be perfect because I already know I'm going to be there. :)

Waterturtle said...

Cool...sounds like a date then. Some of my local sailing friends and I are staying in a soundfront house about 1 mile from Frisco Woods that week....I'll be there April 16-20.