Wednesday, February 6, 2008

It's Official!!!

Henceforth, the 2008 Hatteras windsurf season will be known as the Year of the Huck. The energy level is off the charts right now. If this is any indication of what's to come, then we'll be supplying some major action to the windsurfing scene this year!

I witnessed, and personally helped create, more major splats and splashes today than I've seen in a long time! The setup was: Litsky 5.0-4.5 SW wind, an occasional good stomach high set wave (but mostly crap windswell), and multiple huckable ramps per every outgoing tack. Everyone was going huge today! It was actually ridiculous. Bill was chucking loop after loop, Stuart was throwing himself through forwards with reckless abandon, Caleb and Billy E were tearing the tops off of whatever wave came their way, and I saw Jim K bailout of a huge jump on the outside, his kit cartwheeling 20 yards before it even hit the water!! Insanity, I tell you. I've never seen so much huckage from so many people in one afternoon. It was awesome!

Major moments of note:
  1. Stuart claims a "lollypop" backloop, witnessed by one beach spectator! Rad!
  2. I landed a few endo forwards really solidly on my feet, not planing, but close!
Not many pics, because I was sailing all afternoon, but here's a few:

Billy E lines up a hit
Stuart drives down the line
Billy E throws some spray
Bill B had a friend on the beach videotaping this afternoon, so I'm sure he'll have some great action to share on his blog sometime soon! Be sure to check it out!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whereas I thoroughly enjoy the blog and the hard sailing/surfing it takes everyday to create such a fine piece, I want to know why these people Stuart, Caleb, and Andy don't have to work. I just want to know what you people do to contribute to society. I bet you people sell drugs.

badneck said...

that was a fun day thanks for the props. Oh and thanks to hank for not including me in with you three bums!

Andy said...

You nailed it, Hank! I do sell "drugs." The products I sell are extremely habit forming, and truly addictive... I sell windsurf and surf equipment : ) My job is seasonal, and as you noticed, I do have a lot of spare time on my hands at the moment! I'm choosing not to waste that time! Instead, I'm having as much fun as I possibly can, and I'm writing about it with the hopes that society (you) will accept my completely free contribution (this blog). I really don't care if you take it or leave it, that's up to you, but please keep the comments constructive and blog post related!

BTW Hank, I'm glad you enjoy my postings so far! Thank you for taking the time to read them!

Billy, how did you escape the wrath?! Ha! Anyway I can email you the full size photos if you want 'em, but they're kind of out of focus...

Anonymous said...

Lost in Hatteras?????? there's only one road and runs north and south. Maybe if you didn't land so many loops on your head you'd know where you were. Or is it the drugs you sell that have you pondering your position on the island. Well maybe someday you'll find yourself. Until then I'll keep in touch by lurking on your blog.

Anonymous said...

Save some wind for us! Can't wait 'til April.