Thursday, February 14, 2008

Perfect Surf?

My friend Dan has been talking about the "Valentine's Swell" of '07 for, well, a year now... Thank heavens he'll have something else to talk about now. Something tells me I'll be hearing him reminisce about today for, well, the next year or so...

On the way down the beach, Stuart and I stopped at Isabel's and found Chad out, solo:

Click to see a larger version, Chad's in there somewhere!
A-Frames!!
It was a little heavier than I was really looking for, so on we went, further south... We found just a touch smaller, but way softer, longer, crumblier A Framing peaks where Dan was hiding. Way more inviting to my eyes! Sorry, no pics, so the spot shall remain nameless. All you need to know is that it was just about perfect!

The idea of "perfect surf" will certainly conjure up different images in each and every surfer's individual mind. Well, today was pretty darned close to my version. Big enough to throw you around a little, but not so big to be really scary. Super clean faces with light offshore breeze. A-frame peaks with 50 yard long peeling shoulders. Ahhhhhhh.... It doesn't get much better than that around here. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that it was just me and 4 other guys splitting the never ending supply of peaks!

Gotta love Hatteras in February! Thanks for the Valentine's gift!

No comments: