Sunday, February 10, 2008

Isabel's Mirror Image

Usually, if I'm heading down to the south side of the island to windsurf, it's blowing northeast, or, side-offshore. Today, for some reason, Bill, Billy, and I sailed Isabel's in a SW, 180 degrees from the normal direction! What the heck were we thinking? Well, luckily, I didn't think too much about it, because it was REALLY fun!!!

Just one pic today, because I couldn't be bothered to stop sailing... when I pulled up a lone kiter was riding by, so here's the scene:


We ended up getting side on conditions with ridiculous starboard ramps, and port backside waverides, mostly well powered on a 5.0. I saw Billy toss a huge tabletop on the outside, and watched Bill pop a bunch of backside aerials off the lip (no aerial loops yet, though, Bill!!) Personally, I had an insane jumping day, throwing a bunch of huge loops, and some of my most successful starboard back loop attempts ever! I've been visualizing push loops lately, and a few backloops sort of morphed into potential pushies, and felt pretty reasonable, really... I also smacked the biggest backside aerial off the lip I've ever thrown, off a head high wall just barely starting to throw over! Cleared the section, landed in the flats, still planing and ready to rock another! Unreal sensation, tons of power!

Today was one of those days when everything flows, and one big move rolls into another... I'm still buzzing off it, 4 hours later, ready for more as soon as possible!! Rad... The Hatt has been seriously providing this winter, and I have A LOT to be thankful for!

3 comments:

Bill said...

Yea, later Billy and I hit a sunset session at the Point. Had to get a little side-off fix, and though the waves were small, there were some fun hits. Also, regarding looping, it was perfect at the Point for learning to loop. I guess the angle made it easy to hit the ramp off the wind, and with knee to waist high steep ramps, I was hucking a ton of them. Though, I am in a "bad habit" now with pulling in my front hand causing the weak rotation. My last one of the day though, I forced it forward, and really felt the spin!

I think I will be submitting a future post on windsurfing "bad habits."

Anonymous said...

Andy, Your blog heading photo...where is that? Is that the pond down by the lighthouse at Cape Point? I've always heard of people "speedsailing" there in certain wind direction but never tried it nor seen it happen there.

Andy said...

Hey Bill, glad you hit it at the point! I was completely spent by the time I derigged and started driving (although I was still wearing my suit, holding out hope for a second wind)! Re: loops: Brad Doerr once recommended throwing them one handed (still hooked in) if you really want to get whipped around!

Mac: You're close, but a bit off. As far as I know, the pond is now offlimits by NPS rules (for awhile, since before Y2K I think). The header photo was taken out at the point in a little knee deep tidal pool that comes and goes every year or two. It looked perfect for some freestyling, but once I jumped in, I realized it was fully saturated in bird poop! Not a place you want to get your head wet!