Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Mast High Cove Session!!!! and the March Wrap-Up

All the calls from the Cove reported a building swell, but no wind Monday afternoon. I had an hour of daylight left after work, so I decided to run down there and see if it was sailable. Everyone had since packed it in, giving up on the afternoon, so I had the place all to myself when I pulled up, except a few friendly fishermen. My eyes couldn't believe what I saw!! Unreal mast high perfect waves were wrapping around the point and peeling for hundreds of yards into the cove! It must have built after everyone left, I couldn't believe no-one was there!

It was a tough schlog out, and I only caught one wave. One of the fishermen snapped off a picture and was nice enough to email it to me (thanks, Chuck!!):

Insane! Y'all definitely missed it! How could you leave waves like that?!!?

So, on to the March Wrap-Up! Last month was insanely windy here on Hatteras! Here are the raw stats:

19 sessions windsurfing
6 sessions surfing (2 SUP, 4 shortboard)
7 rest days (travelling or sick... at least 4 of those days were sailable on a 5.0 or smaller)
2 sessions on a 7.5
3 on my 5.7
12 on my 5.0!!
2 on my 4.2
11 sessions in a 6/5/4 suit
14 in a 3/2

Windy!! And warming up, too! This spring has been amazing! Come on out and join us!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

hole whoa!!! Maybe I should sacrifice myself for the betterment of the whole community and never return. It seems that it has just been insane every day I've been gone. What was I thinking, leaving Hatteras? -- hold up, what am I thinking, "sacrificing myself for the good of the whole?" -- I'll be back soon enough, and I'll bet the spring continues to go off! Mark's still banking on this being "the year of the southwest."
that wave looks like frikin maui or something. You must be blessed.
-stu

Anonymous said...

so how many people did you call? i know i didnt get a call...does it make you feel special to say "you missed it" I cant believe how fragmented the wave sailn community has become.in my day before everyone had a cell ph we all new where it was going off and used a pay ph to spread the word if we had to.hope you had fun by yourself

Anonymous said...

Awesome shot, and few cold brews are in order for Chuck the fishermen!

There has been all sorts of "amazing" Hatteras action today, even Trip Forman's announcement to ditch kiteboarding for our beloved "poleboarding!"

Perhaps it is April "Fools...," I mean 1st!

badneck said...

you had for a few seconds, till I saw what the title of the picture was. good one

badneck said...

oh man I just read the anonymous that was upset he didnt get a call! that had me laughing so hard!!!!!!!!!

Waterturtle said...

you had me going there too....good one!

Hey, check your email...I must be sending to your secondary email...reply with your primary one.

Anonymous said...

you got me hahaha...

Catapulting Aaron said...

dang that's a pretty wave...

Anonymous said...

is that really the mohawk river????