Saturday, April 5, 2008

Fun couple of days!

It's been a great few days here on Hatteras! I scored a fun (but slightly frustrating) Isabel's sesh on Wednesday evening. The chilly NNE winds were completely blocked on the inside, making for a tough schlog out, and some interesting moments of zero sail power with a head high set looming... Still, the four good waves I caught were well worth the struggle! This was the sunset over Hatteras village on the sound side:


Thursday was a huge "Missed It" for me! I was too lazy to get out of bed for the dawn sesh, which was easily 5.0 wind. And then later that afternoon, I could have had a great SUP sesh down in the cove, but I have yet to repair my busted board, so I was kit-less. Pretty bummed about not taking part in the action, but I needed a rest day anyway, and we had plenty of fun hanging on the beach with a bunch of friends. Here's a short vid of the beach antics, but be forewarned, there is absolutely no watersports action in this movie!!



Friday made up for "missed it Thursday" by providing a great surf sesh in the AM, and fun SW wind in the evening! Zach, 2 Chads, Drew and I surfed some really fun head high (+) sets in the light WSW wind early on. It was foggy, and there was a ton of water moving around. Really tough paddle out, especially since I haven't surfed in weeks! But it's great to start the day with a pre-work surf session! Gotta love the salt water shower!

Zach (I think) on a foggy morning bomb!
By closing time, the wind filled in to solid 5.0 down at the Hole. Drew, Anne and I squeezed in to my truck with a ton of gear, and caught a great sunset session! Anne hasn't sailed in months, but she jumped right on to a 4.2 and went ripping across the sound, and even nailed a few dry jibes! And Drew successfully beachstarted a few times in the super gusty winds! Caleb was packing up from an Ego Beach session when we rolled in, he had a pretty big smile on his face, so it must've been fun! What a great way to spend a Friday evening!

Anne rips in while Drew lines up a beachstartPost Session Glow!

Check out this huge building going up right by the Village Grocery and Ugly Mugs coffee shop. Hopefully, there won't be any bright neon lights accompanying it. I REALLY dislike the appearance of box stores, especially in such a small town. Chances are it'll be stocked with cheap lead covered crap made in China. But maybe I'm wrong.

2 comments:

Bill said...

Oh noooooo, will Wings be infecting Avon?! Usually big boxy buildings are a sign of our ever popular Wings Beach junk stores. Perhaps, there will be one to enjoy down there in Avon too?!

Andy said...

Looks like it... We got a "Reef" 2 years ago, now this POS just a quarter mile away. The only possible redeeming quality is a (rumored) 50 seat theater being built in the back for small indie surf flicks and stuff like that. I'll believe it when I see it!