Sunday, August 30, 2009

Warning- Gruesome Pics Herein!!

So Danny, packing nowhere near the punch of his predecessor Bill, seems to have managed to take a few prisoners... Perhaps we were all caught off guard, for after Bill's full brunt of brutish bullying, Danny's demeanor seemed so... diluted...

I know of at least two boards broken clear in half.

I know of more than a handful of minor dings.

I know of at least three counts of bloodshed.


I guess that after focusing so hard, and expending so much energy to deal with Bill, we just couldn't be bothered to pay attention to Danny, and just wanted to have some fun. Turns out, Bill was the gentle giant, while Danny was the scrappy little punk who took a swing when you weren't looking...

The scene at S-Turns. I was most decidedly NOT there.


Here are a few of Danny's waves (Most pics by Drew or Laura):

Moi, southside shorebreak

Stuart, goofing around

Stuart, serious


Moi, goofing around

Goofing around, again

Warning- If the sight of blood makes you queasy, stop scrolling down and visit some other page.




























So here's what happens when you stop paying attention, even for just one second:

Moi, no longer goofing around

Dan, not goofing around



And here's how you fix the ding that your face left in your surfboard:

Broke

Rough it up with sandpaper

Buy this stuff

Set up a piece of plastic to cover the repair area

Squirt said stuff into repair area

Cover with plastic

Smooth it out

Put it in the sun for 5 minutes

Remove plastic and sand the repaired area flush

Squirt in some more stuff to fill any divits

Try a tongue depressor to smooth it out

Put it in the sun again

Sand it down again


Viola! Good as new, if not a bit stronger!

An interesting aside- The board being fixed here was my polyester resin board that Stuart put his knee through. Dan dinged up his polyester resin board pretty well with his nose. My forehead cut?? Well, the recycled foam core bamboo mat epoxy resin constructed Imagine surfboard looked brand new after it bashed a hole in my head. The question then becomes- Would my forehead cut have been milder or worse if I were on a polyester board? Busted boards end up with exposed edges that can really tear you up... my guess is that it would have been worse, like Dan's (who needed multiple stitches).

All's well that ends well- Everyone has been surfing everyday since said accidents, and the waves have been really really fun!!

Looks like our first batch of Fall NE winds might be hitting this week! Keep your eyes on it!!

7 comments:

Will said...

Just to add to the carnage count, I know of a dislocated shoulder as well. Great swell! Here's looking to Invest 94!

George Markopoulos said...

carnage. my leg is bruised all up and down from two tropical events on cosnecutive weekends

PeconicPuffin said...

Ouch! But you gotta like a guy who poses bloody for the camera!

I've had mixed results with the solarez...it has always worked as an immediate repair, but six months down the line I've had it chip away, in several repairs.

It's fast, though! You need serious shade to get everything into position on a sunny day.

Anonymous said...

If mom sees this edition, you'll be grounded for a month!!

Andy said...

Whose shoulder, Will?

This stuff all heals, George... it's all part of the fun, right?

PP- I was paparrazied, not posing!! :)

6 months ain't half bad for a repair from a $6 tube of stuff! If you're using the epoxy version on a sailboard, you've just gotta make sure to sand all the way down to a glass or carbon layer. Get all the paint off, or else it won't really bond!

hahaha, Anon (Jim?)! I've had really bad self control with this one, and been in the water every day since... The broken bones are much better at policing activity, since ya just plane old can't go out with cast on yer leg! Mom knew already anyway, she was "pre-warned" haha

George Markopoulos said...

war wounds buddy-badge of courage

PeconicPuffin said...

They make it to the OBX? Well you make bleeding for your session look good! Me, once I determine I'm going to live, I go looking for a documentarian to capture the moment.

Meanwhile I have some windows of opportunity opening for a drive down your way...I'll be in touch!