Monday, August 24, 2009

Schlogging Bill's Leftovers

So, the meters bumped up a bit yesterday afternoon! It was just barely windy enough for Keith and me to catch a schlog sesh out at Ego Beach. The shorebreak was ferocious, and the wind was super light, but the outer bar was working pretty well- it still had some size, and the big ones were crumbling top to bottom. Since the wind was so light, positioning was tough and it was a lot of work to make anything happen, but when it all lined up it was definitely worth the effort!

I only caught two really good waves, definitely overhead, and lined up for 2 or 3 really good down the line lip smacks. They were both "turn and burn" style- schlogging out, see it starting to stand up, jibe, and take off super steep and late... So none of the good waves were caught on film, because Anne had put the camera down and didn't expect the late drop in :) But she did catch a few pictures of some of the mediocre waves :) Thanks for shooting a few, Anne!!

Keith, lining it up

Deep!

Me

Again

So, I've gotta tell you how impressed I am with the Tabou Pocket waveboards... I snagged the 85 for the sesh, instead of the 80, because I knew there would be some serious holes in the wind. I got clipped on the way out through the break just one time- by a very sizable set wave that broke about 10 yards out past me. I was literally just standing on the board with virtually zero sail power, and figured "what the heck, lets see what happens." So I stood strong, and gave a tiny little pump and "bunny hop" as the whitewater hit, and I kid you not, I bounced right up and over this overhead high wall of water! As light as the wind was in front of the wave, there was zero wind behind it (plus a little swirl), so I fell on the backside of the wave, but with sheer amazement that I even made it that far! There's something magic about the volume flow and nose shape of those boards... They handle anything you can throw at them, with ease!! Love 'em! (Not to mention the turns you can pull off......)

3 comments:

George Markopoulos said...

lite wind slog wave sesh's rule

Waterturtle said...

Andy, How would a sail (5 meter) on a SUP board have worked in those conditions? (Besides the fact that the SUP isn't nearly as "turny" as the smaller wave oriented board such as the Pocket)

Andy said...

Hey mac- A SUP would have worked great! Maybe a bit scary (fun) on the bigger sets... And I certainly would've caught more waves... But I was in the mood to hit some lips, and didn't mind waiting for the good ones to line up!