Thursday, July 9, 2009

Here, there, everywhere!

It's been a fun summer down here on Hatteras Island! We've been surfing, sailing, SUPing... Down in Frisco, Buxton, here in Avon... Dawn sessions, sunset sessions, lunch break sessions... All the sports, all the places, all the time! :)


On Wednesday night, Stuart, Drew and I SUPed at sunset. The waves were alright, knee to chest high and pretty weak but clean. The tide was getting higher and higher, so we were moving closer and closer in toward the beach until we were basically dropping in on the shorebreak... on 10 foot boards... race down the section and kick out, or else! haha... no broken boards or necks so all's well that ends well. But as the sky lit up, pinkish-purple, with teal blue water underneath and reflections all around... Dropping into a wave was a task teeming with distractions. I'll never forget the visions of reflected purple sky morphing into teal blue water as your eye traveled up the contour of the wave... Indescribable really... I should have brought a camera out there... Sorry!


Wendy and Roland have been enjoying their Stand Up Paddleboard, too. They sent in a few pics from down in Frisco last week- Check 'em out! Sweet, thanks for the pictures!





We had a bit of NE wind Thursday. Stu and I sailed a morning sesh on our freestyle gear in side-onshore conditions at the lighthouse. Sheesh, it was fun! I guess we were inspired by all that Lanzarote footage. The freestyle boards plane up instantly, so even though conditions were far from ideal we were able to throw some perfect forward loops on the outbound tack and found the occasional ramp for a back loop attempt. The jumps, coupled with a few decent waves here and there, made for a much better sesh than I thought it was going to be when checking the conditions from the beach. Stoked on that one, for sure!

We went back for more this afternoon. I sailed a 5.0 on the Pocket 80. The waves had kicked up a notch, but the wind was a bit spotty. I was lucky enough to get a few down the line rides and throw a bit of spray, but I didn't have the juice to throw a single jump. I'm really impressed with how early the Pocket planes up, with virtually no sail power. It was kind of weird to see a ramp, and have board speed, but not be able to do anything with it because the sail was running completely on apparent wind and there was no juice to work with. Oh well, those backloops will have to wait until another day...

Tangent Dynamics Reapers!

Low and behold, the Tangent Dynamics weed fins have arrived! I know a lot of you have been waiting for a pretty long time for these puppies... I now have most fin boxes available in the bigger sizes, so give me a call at the shop or shoot me an email and we'll get you hooked up with a new fin!

Keep an eye out for wind on Sunday- It could be worth the trip! And, Pozo is about to start, so keep an eye on the PWA website for details and updates! They did a great job covering Lanzarote, I hope they keep up the good work!

1 comment:

George Markopoulos said...

I love sailing at the lighthouse. Blasting out, gybing and looking back at the beach and seeing those black and white stripes makes me smile every time