Monday, January 26, 2009

Heart-Rate-Techy-Dweeb-Babbling-Nonsense

I've always wondered how much exercise we get when we go windsurfing. So I stole (err- borrowed) Anne's heart rate monitor while she wasn't looking, and went for a skate sailing session!

First things first, here's an explanation of basic heart rate guidelines. This stuff is all over the web, but I'm using an article by Sally Edwards on howtobefit.com as a basis for the following:

Everyone has a generic maximum heart rate (HR) based on their age and weight. I'm sure there are fancier ways of figuring out a more personal max HR, but the generic equation for a male is:

210 - half of your age - 5% of your body weight + 4. That equals 191 for me at 29 yrs old and 165 pounds.

From there, you can look into different "HR zones" for efficient training.

Zone 1 = 50 to 60% of your max (96-115 for me). Minimal effort, warm up/cool down type stuff. It's good for your health, but not very strenuous.

Zone 2 = 60 to 70% of your max (115-134). Moderate effort. Your body will use fat for up to 85% of it's caloric needs if you exercise here!

Zone 3 = 70 to 80% of your max (134-153). Aerobic effort. Your body will burn about 50% fat and 50% carbs in this zone. This is the zone where you actually get fit and your body will see the most health benefits.

Zone 4 = 80 to 90% of your max (153-172). Anaerobic effort. Your heart cannot supply enough blood and oxygen to your muscles, so they start to "burn." You still see healthy benefits here, in the form of getting stronger and faster, but it hurts.

Zone 5 = 90 to 100% of your max (172-191). All out insanity. Don't go there for long, or you may just end up hurting yourself.


So, here are the (much anticipated, I'm sure) results from the skate sesh:

Heart Rate, Recorded While Windsurfing

Looks like the act of rigging up bumped me into Zone 1. Rigging is good for your heart!

I started by just cruising around, playing with duck jibes, heli tacks, etc etc. It wasn't all that strenuous, and I stayed in the upper end of Zone 1 for most of the warmup.

As I started throwing the occassional vulcan, spock and grubby, the HR started to elevate a bit and I crept up into a solid zone 2 workout! Goodbye, fat!

Then, I really got in the groove, and didn't sail further than 10 yards in a straight line, choosing instead to carve turns, throw spocks, slide the wheels out, pump the sail maniacally, etc etc. I was into it, man! And that pushed me up into Zone 3, a true aerobic workout, which lasted... all of 15 minutes!

All in all, I put almost 3 miles on the ol' skateboard, nailed a few port tack vulcans and spocks, and figured out the sail handling for a funnell. All in a small parking lot sized 40 x 20 yards, and with 9-13 mph north winds.

Just think, I could have been on a treadmill breathing recycled air and watching MTV.

I LOVE WINDSURFING!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks Like you are in good shape.I maima, it is hard to not crash on a stationary bike,lol12kite.com

George Markopoulos said...

can you wear the monitor in big surf? I'd love to see the readings from THAT sesh

MikeyZ said...

I just read your blog entry. I am about to go breathe recycled air and get on the rowing machine in the gym because all the lakes are frozen up here in western, NY. : (

- mike

Waterturtle said...

I'm with George, you should do more research on this in real conditions....and submit it to the mags for publishing like you've done with some of your other material sent to Windsurfing Mag, NEWJ, and Windsport...of course, you could also publish it right here on your very own blog too!

Andy said...

Haha George B! But I wasn't looking at it while sailing... just afterwords!

Seriously, George M, I'd love to see that too! While the receiver is water resistant, I don't think the sensor is... so it might take some MacGuyver-ing to make that work. It's a little too expensive to just sacrifice...

Whatever keeps you ready to rock and roll come warmer weather, Mike! Keep on it!

Yeah Mac, I kind of thought about that... but I can envision lots of heavy eyelids reading a feature length piece about heart rate zones! It's good sleepy time reading : )

weight loss said...

I hope all your Zone steps working properly.