Monday, January 12, 2009

Board Swap Afterthoughts

Never ending perfect days down here, I tell you. Wind for a portion of the day, surf for the rest. Over and over again.... Lots of people out on the water, and obviously, everyone's in a good mood! Remind me, again, why the rest of you only come here during the third week of April?!

Popin' and Slidin' at the Hole (Anne pic)

I would describe the wind on Saturday as "lulley." It wasn't gusty, as the gusts were more sustained than the occasional bottom dropping out lull that would leave you flat on your back wondering what the heck just happened. In order to help Anne deal with the lulls, I offered a board swap. She gladly jumped on my 100l Freestyle, and I hopped on her 85 fsw (my old one). I can't believe how far the boards have come in just a few years... I hadn't ridden that 2006 since May, so I kind of forgot how it felt. It's probably only a cm or two longer than my '08 same model, but man it felt all long and skinny... I can't believe I learned how to spock on that thing!!

Anne's only question, asked while reluctantly giving back the Tabou 20 minutes later, was "Is this thing hollow?!" Apparently, even at 100 liters, it felt lighter and more responsive than the '06 85 liter...... I would agree with her... In fact, I haven't even been putting my '08 85 in the truck, even when it was blowing 4.2 the other day.... (Sorry, baby, I still love ya in the waves, but I think it's time to say "sayonara" to the flat water)

My only afterthought on the decision to board swap? "Doh!" Now we're gonna be fighting over the 100 everytime we go to the beach... Maybe I'll just have to get a second one....

3 comments:

George Markopoulos said...

Andy, are you officially riding Tabou now?

Aaron said...

"Never ending perfect days down here..." Ahhhh...i'm dying up here in NYC. The snow and ice is killin me. Can't wait to get down to OBX. You can bet it'll be earlier than April! Thanks for the bloggin...I statisfy my wind fix vicariously through you for now.

Andy said...

George- YES!! And STOKED on it!!!!

Aaron, glad to hear my subversive plan to get everyone to quit their job and move to the beach is slowly taking effect, one step at a time! Ooops, did i say that out loud?