Saturday, April 12, 2008

Wicked Ego Beach Action!

Wooooo it got windy today! 70 degrees, sunny, and SW winds! Ego Beach was lined up pretty well, chest to head high with an occasional logo high bomb. I showed up for the post work session, and it was only Stuart, Thomas and I on the water. There were a bunch of trucks and spectators on the beach, so I'm sure a lot of people got on it earlier!

What a fun session! If the waves had been any bigger, I think I would've used the phrase "survival sailing" but as it was, it was pretty do-able, and I wasn't too afraid to huck it big or go for a lip! I ended up being lit out of my mind on my 4.2, which doesn't happen too often. Stuart sailed a 3.7, and he said it was just about perfect. Some of the gusts were borderline violent, as they warped and wrapped around the wave faces, switching 20 degrees nearly instantly! I took a few monster sets on the head, but came out unscathed, so all is well.

Drew came out and took a bunch of pictures, he's got a great Stuart shot on his blog! And it looks like Billy has got a slideshow up on his blog, with lots of action from all day long! Check it out! Anne and Banana were also hanging on the beach, and she took a bunch of pictures with a little point and shoot. Thanks, guys, for getting sandblasted all in the name of a sweet pic!

Thomas lining up a hitI tried a wave face 360 for the first time ever! (It didn't end so well)Stuart, laying down a solid arc!
Going up...
...and coming back down!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you know it was unheard of to wavekite in sw winds on the east facing beaches until i started doing it? sorry about that,now we have to look out for kites at our fav sw w.s breaks.signed...blantantly self absorbed

stuart proctor said...

I'll sail with a kiter any day - as long as they're under control, not trying to snake all my waves, or get all agro. Kiters who are qualified to kite side-off should feel welcome at any spot we ride, just as I feel I should be welcome at any spot a kiter might be launching from. There's no need to fuel some imaginary war that just pisses people off and makes both sports look bad. I know you're just joking about the whole thing (and your comment is kind of funny since I know who you are, I guess), but you never know who might be reading this silly computer thing and get the wrong idea. we're all kooks, we're all self absorbed.