Thursday, April 10, 2008

What a stretch of wind!

It's STILL windy on day 5... We've had a string of four solid days of North wind. Cold, cloudy, rainy, and honking wind! Just the way I like it! Well, another 30 degrees on the thermometer would be fine with me, but I don't mind the cold. Nor do all the customers coming through the door! They've all got torn up hands and smiles on their faces! I love that windsurfers can find joy in such nasty weather, where most sane people are curled up on the couch drinking beer and watching TV!

I desperately needed a day off from hanging on the booms, so, *gasp* I didn't go windsurfing yesterday, even though it blew solid 5.7 all day long. Instead, Drew and I took a surf session on the South side, in strong, but straight offshore winds. The faces were nice and clean, and the lines were long if you picked the right one! Here are a few shots I snapped off, but the sun was basically gone so there wasn't much light. Still, you can get a feel for the chest high lefts ripping off the pier! Enjoy!

Felix on the peak!The View Down the LineNice Lines!
Drew waits for a setThere's still a bit of breeze out there today, and it looks like tomorrow's going to switch South and warm up a bit! Should be a great couple of days coming up!

Also, if you haven't seen it yet, Bill's just officially announced OBX Loop Fest 2008! If you're on the verge of committing to some huckage, come on down in June and join the fun! Nothing like lots of other people throwing themselves around to up the energy level and get yourself to do something stupid! And once you do, you'll never look back! Oh yeah, there are lots of prizes to be given out to contenders, so maybe a new waveboard or sail will help you overcome your fears! Note: the contest is not for accomplished huckers, it's for people who just want to chuck their first attempts. Of course, if you've spun around before, you're welcome to join the fun, but the idea is to boost the overall number of loopers out there in the windsurf world! So come join us, and learn to nail one of the easiest moves there is!

4 comments:

Catapulting Aaron said...

That down the line shot is a thing of beauty.

Anonymous said...

learning to loop is easy? didnt you blow out your eardrum learning to loop and didnt our other resident pro looper break his leg looping?how many loops have you tried?how long have you been trying them?now go to the W.S video site and click on spin loop and tell me what you do is looping and if its so easy how come most of your loops end in a waterstart if your lucky,after 2+ yrs of attempts? and the other pro looper whos going to teach the world to loop looks like a yard sale on all his loops.and yet hes sponsoring a contest that makes no sense logistically.sure does sound alot like what that cali guy was saying...

Andy said...

Hey "Debbie Downer," I never said I was anywhere near a pro-level windsurfer. Of course they're going to land 'em better than me, I'm just a kook trying to have some fun! As far as getting hurt goes, yeah, I got busted up a bit, and it was completely worth it! "no pain, no gain" right?

See ya at Ego Beach this afternoon, I'll be the one upside down with a huge smile on my face! Or maybe you'll just see me waterstarting, which I do more than anyone else on the beach because I'm not afraid to fall...

Anonymous said...

Im not trying to be a kill joy and i know you said you wernt a pro looper you said it was easy.it seems pretty passively self absorbed(i love this term) to call looping easy and im really sick of hearing how easy it is.i guess because i cant do one the easiest tricks and ive been sailn for over 15 yrs im alittle jealous.i just hope i can reach a level of sailn (or reckless abandon) one day to do one of the easiest windsurf moves.sure hope i dont blow out my eardrum or break my leg trying one of the easiest windsurf moves...debbie drowner