Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Old Road

From the dunes, the setup at Old Road looks very tempting- little itty bitty waves lapping up on the shore, an inner bar that looks fairly heavy but fun, and then an outer bar that gently throws and fizzles for upwards of 50 yards...  Very inviting! 

Until...

...you actually step foot into the ocean.  Immediately, the sideshore current sweeps you off your feet.  And you realize that there's no shorebreak because the inner bar is shin deep and 25 yards wide, eventually opening into a little thigh deep tidal pool at water's edge.  That fun looking inner bar now looks mean, as it sucks out below sea level, hurls a thick lip, and then continues to churn all the way in, coming to rest in the little pool that you're standing in. 

A tiny puff fills your sail, just enough to lure you onto the board.  As you drift with the currents, you inch your way closer to the heaving section.  The water pushing in under the board gives you a sense of speed and power, that really isn't there.  As soon as the tidal push evens out, you sink to the bottom, with zero actual sail power.  Just in time to watch the next wave heave, peel down the line, and then spit it's churned up exhaust as the last section closes out just 5 yards in front of you.  Ain't no gettin' over that one, so you get washed all the way back into the little pool, in a matter of seconds.

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and declare "Old Road" as unsuitable for windsurfing, at least for now.  Maybe with more wind?  Here's the best moment of my windsurfing session this morning:



Other than that little swimming sesh, it's actually been really fun down here for the last few days!  We've had decent wind every day, 4.7 or 5.2, decent temps, and that chilly, overcast, spitting rain that keeps most normal people indoors.  Luckily, we as windsurfers, know how to make the best of a crappy day!

Looks like more wind through the end of the week, with an emphasis on Thursday and Friday, which might provide the first real solid NW blow of the Fall.  Reef Run, anyone?

6 comments:

George Markopoulos said...

Its all good eh?

Anonymous said...

Boy did I just have a flashback to about 15 years ago when my buddies and I launched there during Hurricane Gordon. We didn't know any better.Everyone else had gone to the Hatteras Turnout I guess. After spending half the day trying to get out through the break I finally made it out to the open ocean where I (incorrectly) believed would find a safe zone to jibe. Incredible conditions we sometimes find ourselves in when we know just enough windsurfing to get ourselves into danger. That was the only time I've ever actually been tubed on my rig while standing up. I was lucky enough to make it back to shore where I kissed the beach. Spent the rest of the day trying to play in the 'living room' doing chicken jibes. Thanks for the memory ~ Alan White

rdm said...

it is well known lake sailing isn't in the same league as hatteras- but here is my 2 cents...

on a west wind at belews lake i have been reaching south lit up in the straps, hooked loving life and run head long into a south wind brick wall. this deceleration was as fast as any grounding save the sail moved backward... this tossed me into my first quasi helicopter tack ever. i’m going to go ahead and combine terms from James’ blog and call it “voodoo-psycho-shifty”

Ken K said...

Excellent prose Andy. You've apparently rekindled some violent memories!

BTW I received the new mast and sail from you and I must admit I don't want to use them. My gear is generally 4 to 5 years old with sails well creased and worn and masts looking like 50-grit sandpaper was rubbed all over them. Last night I unrolled the 5.8 square meters of glistening polymer perfection and cringed at the thought of that first bunching of the sail as it goes onto the mast. Even the idea of sliding that shiny new laquer-like finished mast into a mast sleeve that has some sand in it was a little disturbing. I suppose I won't be so sensitive when I'm standing on a windy beach!

Andy said...

George- Yes, it's all good! Sunny, warm water, no broken bits and pieces... No worries! I suppose I could've driven around to find a better spot but I only had 25 minutes to kill, so Old Road was it!

Alan- The funny thing is that with the next swell, Old Road could be the easiest place in the world to get out... fickle sandbars! Well, I'm glad you survived your survival sesh! I've kissed the beach in thanks, too. More for the experience than just thanks to be alive, though... Quite a trip windsurfing takes us on, eh?!

Ralph- just throw it into a flaka next time! I give all the respect in the world to the fickle wind lake sailors...

Ken- I'm glad everything arrived, and it sounds like it's more beautiful than you expected :) Go ahead and rig her up right there in the living room- gotta check those specs! Enjoy, and thanks again for the business!

PeconicPuffin said...

Not fun to sail, but fun to read...nice work Andy!