Saturday, November 21, 2009

Lighthouse!!

Well, I think I know where all the sand from S-Turns ended up- It's all at the Lighthouse!  That sandbar is working insanely well right now!  We've been getting hooked up with North to NE winds for the last few days in the 20-30 mph range.  The waves have been really fun, too, ranging from chest high to occasionally a bit overhead if you find a good set.

It's a lot of work to sail at the Lighthouse, especially in a due north, as the jetties and the town of Buxton really block a lot of wind on the inside.  Couple that with a jet stream of current accelerating through the gaps in the jetty, and you can definitely get yourself worked if you're unlucky with the timing.  I spent a lot of time in the drink this afternoon, and got pushed a solid 150 yards down the beach before I made it out, on more than one occasion...  But when it all lines up for that perfect wave, you realize that it was definitely worth all of the effort...

Here's Bill, lining up a hit on a nice peak this afternoon:




And...  showing off the bottom of his new 92 liter twin fin!!



heh heh heh, sorry Bill!!

Looks like more of the same for the next two days, then a mid week lull, and another good front at the end of the week!!  Sweeeeeet!!

2 comments:

Bill said...

Yep, I remember that ride! I saw you on the beach with the camera raised and I got miffed!

Oh well, we always have a few of those during any given wave sesh!
: )

George Markopoulos said...

Nice! Wish I could’ve been there. I miss those light house sessions.

Assateague was firing sunday, juiced 5.0! big wind in the holiday forecast, bring it on!