Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Slick, slick, slickety slick!!

**Update** Please answer the new poll, in the right hand column. Thanks, hope to see you!!

Oh, I'm stoked right now! We've had a ton of wind over the last few days! I took a rest day on Monday, but could have surfed some really fun waist to chest high, super clean waves. Then the NW wind hit on Tuesday... Stuart and I have been hitting up the Buxton Slick, every free moment! And I'll tell you what, the confidence is building fast!! Stuart's starting to sail out of clean Spock 540s, and I nailed my first Grubby yesterday!! It's amazing what consistent, clean conditions do for your progression!

The other thing I'm amped up about is getting to wear my thick wetsuit! Man I love that thing! It's a 6/5/4 Billabong surf suit with a built in hood. Even though the temps were in the 40s yesterday, and 35 this morning, the suit felt a bit like overkill... but it's sooo comfortable... It feels like a giant, supportive but stretchy Ace bandage wrapped around my whole body. It's probably what gave me the confidence to hit the Grubby!!

Shot some more video... Enjoy!!



Oh yeah: Wind wise, it's been cranking! Sailed 5.0 yesterday AM, then lit up 4.2 in the evening! And more 5.0 this morning, but it's been slowly fading all day here. Tomorrow looks like another perfect slick day, more westerly and a bit warmer, and then it's supposed to light up again this weekend!!! Unbelievable this Fall!! You've got to get here, if you're thinking about calling it quits for the season!! Actually, this morning was by far the coldest it gets here, all winter long, so if you sailed today, you can make it all year here!

Anyway, this picture was taken after derigging my 4.2 last night. Gotta love it!

10 comments:

Bill said...

swEEEEt!!

George Markopoulos said...

i'm gonna have to check those suits out. My Neil Pryde dry suit is only in its 2nd yr, and I'm gonna have to mail out the suit on a warranty issue already.

Dry's are so warm and reassuring, but such a pain in the ass-fragile

SlideHappySailor said...

I'm so spoiled to the warmth of Florida, I don't think I'd leave my house in 35 degree weather, much less go throw down on boards.. happy Early Turkey Day!

Anonymous said...

Surf today.

Andy said...

Gotta be careful of any suit, George... But the surf suits are definitely a bit more resilient.

You get used to it, Slide! And once you're moving you build up body heat...

Danno- No Joke!! The Buoy is at 6.6 ft at 12s..... With straight offshore wind at 15-20..... Time to jump off the pier?

Unknown said...

I agree with Andy - I sport a 6,5,4 Xcel surfsuit for winter sailing up in Boston and it rules. The water will get down to about 36 here and I have never had any issue with suit - put it next to your heater for a few minutes before you strip down and slide into it.

I think Xcel is now part of Billabong.

Catapulting Aaron said...

Nice Grubby!

Keith said...

way to go andy.. and stuart.. you guys look like you are in bonaire except for all the rubber;-)) both you guys are really kill'n it with your impressive freestyle progression. -Keith

Andy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andy said...

Thanks Aaron/Keith! You guys are next!!