Thursday, November 6, 2008

Happy Birthday, Jim!

First and foremost:

Happy Birthday to my brother, Jim! Here we are, hanging out last April in the Caribbean:

That's Jim on the left. As you can see, he got hooked up with the "handsome" genes. Jerk.

His birthday was actually yesterday, and I had meant to post this last night, but I fell asleep at about 8:30. Too much intense windsurfing knocked me flat on my back, and it was lights out before most 1st graders hit the sack!

Speaking of intense windsurfing, yesterday lined up for another super fun 4.2 day at the Hole. I've been rigging that sail on a 400, and it always felt pretty good but a bit twitchy. Yesterday, I grabbed the top half of Anne's 370 when she wasn't looking and used that with my 400 bottom. What a difference!! Man that sail felt great! The shorter, softer top allowed the leach to open just a little bit easier, while the stiffer bottom section kept a little more shape in the main panels. Good stuff! Try it out the next time your sail feels pitchy, or if the wind is super gusty. You just might like it!

Anyway, me, Stuart, Keith, Jim K, Billy D, and a few others hit up some solid bump and jump conditions, straight west winds, gusty and fun. The chop was just about perfect for big jumps. Stuart and I had a little loopfest out there, chucking forwards left and right, on virtually every tack. We even got off a few back and push loop attempts when the right piece of chop popped up in front of us! Super fun to be chucking yourself around out there! I saw Keith throw a few perfect forwards, too, and Jim K bail out of a MONSTER air! I love seeing people go huge, it gets me amped up to push it even more! No photos, due to the overcast, spitting rain conditions. Definitely "coastal" weather.

So yeah, I was exhausted, and I fell asleep at 8:30 and shirked all brotherly birthday blog responsibilities. Sorry, Bro! But late is better than never, right?!

3 comments:

George Markopoulos said...

my ezzy 4.5 calls for the same setup, 370 bottom and 400 top.
it rips.
love jumpin in onshore conditions. so easy to get floaty air.
now if i can only get comfortable looping in onshore conditions, i could get alot more attempts in.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes. You big jerk.

Andy said...

Hey George, onshore loops are a little weird, because sometimes you have to turn into the wind to get a ramp... which means you have to rotate further to get all the way around... Make sure you've got plenty of juice and go for the shoulders if they're more broad to the wind.

Hey Jim, sounds like you had a good night! Hope to see you soon (Thanksgiving, I guess?)!