Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Wave Jam, Take 2

So Monday ended up being extra windy SW!!  After scouring the whole island, we ended up at Old Lifeguard Beach.  The timing was such that everyone showed up exactly at high tide when everything got weird...  The waves were doubling/tripling up, hard to read, voodoo chop inside, voodoo chop outside, the North swell instantly faded as the new South swell tried to take over...  Tough conditions to make anything happen, to say the least...  But everyone tried their best and did a great job out there!

Luckily, once the tide switched around and started pulling back out, everything reorganized.  Just in time to rig down to a 4.2!!  Even then I got yanked over the front while trying to drive down the line on a few waves...  man that wind was punchy!  Anyway, the sunset sesh was sweet, to say the least!  I don't know that I've ever seen a bigger, redder, sun make contact with the dunes...  It was very distracting...

Bill posted up a bunch of great pictures on OBX Beach Life (Thanks for shooting, Keith and Martine).  Hint- if you click on a picture, a slideshow comes up, with captions.

While rigging, I snapped a few pics too:
Caleb, lining it up...

...And smacking it!  (or getting smacked?)


I also tied on the ol' boom cam.  I've had a bunch of requests for pictures of the GoPro Wide setup that I've been using, so here y'all go:

Put a safety knot in the straps (around the boom), and use the extra outhaul to tie a safety line around the camera itself.

Tie it up as snugly as possible, and angle the camera down towards the mast base for best results.  In the camera menu, set the record mode to "upd" (upside down) since the camera is hanging upside down from the boom.

And here's what I got for video from the early sesh, on a 5.0 with the weird high tide waves.  When am I going to learn to save the batteries for the real deal footage???  Oh well, something's better than nothing, right? :)  Enjoy!


Wave Jam '09 from Andy McKinney on Vimeo.

11 comments:

Brian S said...

Andy,
Another great video. Loved the slo mo forward.

Acewave said...

Very cool. I really like that camera angle and how you've mounted it to see both sides of the sail. I'll give that a go with my GoPro.

What batteries are you using on yours? I've tried NiMh Energizer rechargeables and they only last about 10 min.

Nathaniel said...

Awesome, love the shots of the bottom turns and the forward!

Sergey Menshikov said...

Andy, the secret in GoPro batteries is not to leave them in - it eats them in off position too.

Brian S said...

Yeah, RE the NiMH batteries, I have to charge them *just before* I use them. You can't leave them in the camera, and you can't even leave them charged in your bag for a week.

Nicolas said...

Excellent video Andy. Ever considered submitting some to GoPro and asking them for the GoPro HD camera for you to "test". Keep it coming.

Andy said...

Hey guys, glad you like the vid!

I use the energizer NiMh rechargeables, too, the ones rated at 850 mAh. I've never had trouble with the batteries running out of charge before the 2 gig card was full. My trouble is always foreseeing when the "epic footage" will occur, that's all! Guess I need to get some more memory cards...

Like Sergey said, I don't leave the batteries in the camera, and I don't recharge them until they're totally dead. Dunno if it makes a difference, but I haven't had any troubles...

I like the way you think, Nic... haha...

Ken K said...

A day I will never forget. Broken mast, tattered sail, shattered nerves. As the zen-man might say, much gratitude to you and Stuart for helping me get it all back together.

George Markopoulos said...

sounds like i really did miss a good day-

Anonymous said...

Andy,

What video edit software are you using?

Jesse

Andy said...

Hey Ken, there's always something new to learn, eh?

George, you would've had a blast out there, but no worries, there will be many more....

Hey Jessie, I have a mac, so I use iMovie. It's pretty user friendly once you get the hang of it.