Sunday, May 18, 2008

Incalculable Loss, Epic Action, and Busted Bones

Don't feel much like writing today. Leukemia has taken one of the most positive, happy, and loving human beings I've ever met, my Uncle John Bachman. I miss him dearly. Aunt Sue, Claire, Kevin and the rest of my family: I love you, guys! See you in a few days.

Keeping up with the daily routine will help me get through in the meantime, so here goes:

Here's what happened at the end of last week:

Big swell, light winds Wednesday and Thursday. See more, much better pictures here. And here. And here.

Racing the section
Cranking southwest wind hit on Friday. I sailed Ego Beach with a bunch of other windsurfers and kiters. I felt on fire for the first hour, sailing out of big stalled forwards and carving some good turns on the head high wave faces.

When the perfect back loop ramp popped up right in front of me, I went for it, went big, stayed solid, and came down with the sole intention of sticking it and sailing away! Something went wrong on landing, I was too balled up and on top of my rig, and on impact, all the force of the landing transferred through the board, into the mast, into the boom, and into my back hand. I then transferred all that power through my hand squarely into my jaw... Long story short, I almost knocked myself out by punching myself in the face. I broke my ring finger metatarsal in half, in the classic "Boxer's Break." My jaw is ok, two days later. Anne has been kind enough to feed me soups and soft foods like rice and beans to limit the chew factor. And lots of chocolate chip cookies, the perfect soul food for a physically hurt, grieving psyche!! Thanks, sweetheart!

My last bottom turn for a whileBroke!
So, I'm out for a bit. I find out Monday if I'll need surgery or if the doc will just set it and forget it. Regardless, it'll be quite a few weeks before I'm back in the water. Time to revert to some other meditation, coping, and healing tactics, like yoga, and the simple art of breathing.

In the meantime, I will not coop myself up and sulk. When I return from some much needed quality time with my ever-optimistic family, I plan on continuing the Hatteras action documentation. At least everyone else will have a dedicated, one handed videographer for a little while!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andy,sorry about your loss and your finger,hope you can keep your positive attitude and you recover quickly.let me know if theres anything I can do...Caleb

olaf said...

We feel for your loss of family and the time on the water. We look forward to sharing some in the foot straps time when you've healed up. It will be interesting to see how your video skills will improve while you are off the water. Eat well and do your yoga. olaf

Waterturtle said...

Andy, I'm sorry to hear about your uncle and your hand. I'm only 2 weeks into my surgery recovery and I'm already going crazy since I can't do anything (its been windy!). Spend time with your family and friends, stay sane, and heal fast.

Bill said...

Andy, ah man sorry to hear about your loss in the family and your hand! That is always the risk with the aerial action, especially big back loops! Easy to take off, but missing a committed landing can be painful. Hope everything goes well, and there will be plenty of wind and waves when you are back in the straps.

Catapulting Aaron said...

Sorry for the loss, Andy. Hang in there buddy!

Andy said...

Thanks for the kind words, fellas! I'm really looking forward to seeing my family, and I've got a great bunch of friends around here in NC, so all is well. To be honest, I could care less about my hand- I've sailed so much this year already that I need some rest and cross training time! Don't know if I'll be healed in time for loopfest, but I can assure you, I'll be full of amp when I do finally get back in the straps!

I truly am looking forward to some time behind the lens!

Thanks again!
-Andy

Charles said...

Hey Andy, sorry to hear about your Uncle. If you're heading up 15 and near Leesburg,VA and need a place to crash give a call.

Anonymous said...

Dog,

My condolences to you and your fam. And as far as the hand goes at least it was a valiant attempt. Which is way more than we can say for when you broke your leg.

Ace

vikingsail said...

Hang in there buddy. If you're back up here in NY and need any help give me a call, I'm sure some ABC'ers would be able to offer some help.
Meanwhile hope you're doing better.
Tom W.

PeconicPuffin said...

Condolences to you and yours.

Heal fast!

Anonymous said...

Hope you two had a safe drive home. Here's the article the Parks Dept printed -

http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_newsroom/daily_plants/daily_plant_main.php?id=20911

Get better soon bro, and stop milking the special treatment you're getting from Anne!

Anonymous said...

12kite.com

dude that sucks. get well soon. You to be on the water.How can others learn without guide.there are few now days. get well soon