Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Kinesiology of Cross Training

While Hatteras is arguably one of the windiest places around, we do have our dry spells... I'm the kind of person who can't really lay dormant for much more than, well, about 12 minutes before I start to go stir crazy. So, if the wind dies, and the ocean is flat, I cross train. Stand up paddling has come to the forefront lately, as has bicycling. Yoga, in varying levels, has been a part of my routine for years now. Can't forget about skate sailing! And finally, I've been on a bit of a tennis kick, too. I don't play as much as I'd like, but there are a few things that I really enjoy about tennis:
  1. Jim K once said: "There's something satisfying about the act of hitting a ball really really hard." I agree with him.
  2. It improves your hand/eye coordination, and improves your ability to react quickly.
  3. A lot of the body movements are very similar to surfing. Just check the pictures below for evidence:
Maria Sharapova Forehand HitAlana Blanchard Frontside Lip Smack
Ummmm... what was I just talking about?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe I will take up some tennis

Anonymous said...

I like the choice of examples for cross-training!!

Donald

Waterturtle said...

Hmmm...tennis

Anonymous said...

I wanna smack dem lips!!
-DirtyOlBastard

EC said...

Problem with tennis is your hand fingers have to maintain a tight grip on racket, where as windsurfing leads to you to relax grip on rear hand and slide on boom depending on maneuvers...

But the eye to hand coordination is definitely beneficial to windsurfing as you learn to anticipate and plan your move to win that point, kind of like picking that wave you want to hit the lip smack right in the middle !

Catapulting Aaron said...

I've found that doing cold beer curls between sessions has really improved my jibing.

PeconicPuffin said...

Let's have some more on that surfer. I believe she can impart good things to us windsurfers.

Anonymous said...

12kite.com   call:1.252.557.1111
Mmmm yah I need to start on the teniss

Drew said...

Is it bad that I read this particular blog post several times a day?