Monday, December 7, 2009

No Strap Jibes

There is a forum thread on iWindsurf.com where Spennie recommends jibing with both feet out of the footstraps.  That is certainly an unconventional approach, but I know a few people who jibe this way.  I figured that I'd give it a try, and recorded the sesh for posterity and a few laughs at the inevitable crashes.  Check out the outcome:



No-Strap-Jibes from Andy McKinney on Vimeo.

I found it harder to control the rig because I was too close to the mast base to have any leverage over the sail.  It was fun to try, though, and I'll certainly keep it in the ol' bag of tricks.

Any other experiences?  Add your 2 cents to the iWindsurf forum thread!

5 comments:

George Markopoulos said...

Well on no planning pivot gybes, the feet are certainly out of the straps, so without having yet watched the video, I suspect they’re talking about planning gybes. Yikes, I don’t know about that.
Man the wavesaling this past weekend was so good I’m still buzzing. Hitting a pitching lip is soooo much fun

Jim said...

Watching all the turns in that vid was a bit like watching nascar... without the spectacular crashes.

Andy said...

Hahaha Jim! Just add cheap beer and pit stops and it'll be way more fun to watch...

rdm said...

a bit like myth busters.
-plausible?
-busted?

oh yeah: plaubustable!

Anonymous said...

see the Windsport video/test of the strapless Starboard Atom for more on this topic.
paul